HOW TO GROW TURNIPS
- Choose an area in your yard that gets full sun.
- Loosen the soil to a depth of 12-15 inches and make sure that it is well draining.
- Mix in a 2-4 inch layer of compost and stir well.
- As soon as the ground is workable, you can start sowing the seeds.
- Scatter your turnip seeds and do not cover with more than 1/2 inch of soil.
- Once seedlings reach about 4 inches in height, thin early types 2-4 inches apart.
- If only growing for greens, do not thin.
CARING FOR TURNIPS:
- Remove any weeds as soon as you see them.
- Mulch heavily to retain moisture.
- To keep the roots from becoming tough and bitter, water at least 1 inch per week.
- Depending on the variety of turnips you've planted, you can harvest them as early as 5 weeks after planting.
- Other varieties may need 6-10 weeks until harvest.
- You can choose when to harvest depending on what type of turnips you want: the small, young turnips are nice and tender.
- Store for up to 4 months in a cool, outdoor, straw covered area.